Thursday, July 23, 2015

Sleep Deprivation and Me

As I wrote on the other blog, LG's been away this week, and it's been great overall.

Tiny Boy's sleep?  Not so much.  He's been going to bed without drama around 8:00 and waking around 6:30, which is not a whole lot considering he doesn't nap.  And he's been up a minimum of three times overnight.  Last night, he called me three times in the 12-1:30 window alone and yes, I think he'd fallen asleep between calls.  At that point I just put him in my bed until about 4:00 and then kicked him out again.

While I'm certainly willing to consider if there are behavioral issues involved in his waking...wouldn't nights be more consistent if it were purely behavioral?  Why would the same kid occasionally be able to sleep through the night and sometimes have nights he sleeps worse than most newborns?

In the meantime, I'm zonked.  It's been days since I've slept longer than 2 hrs at a time and that makes a huge difference.  I need to get real work* done and I just can't.





* of the revising the book sort.   I can do other things, but not what really needs doing.

3 comments:

Catie.field said...

I really think it could still be behavior based. The nights he sleeps through the night might just be when he's too exhausted to do anything else. But wait for the rest of the study results before instituting changes.

Anonymous said...

I agree. The fact that he can't put himself back to sleep after waking in the night (remember, all kids wake at night) is indicative of it being behavioral--he hasn't learned to self-soothe. It doesn't have to be the same time each night. And his being "rewarded" by being taken into your bed reinforces the behavior of calling for you.

gwinne said...

Yes, there's no question that calling me is behavioral, and I'm well aware that people wake in the night.

The question is whether there are medical factors that make him wake more frequently or more completely. And clearly his doctors are pursuing those possibilities.