Sunday, July 26, 2015

Night #1

Last night was the first night to implement the new plan (though we didn't start prilosec until this morning, as timing all these supplements is fairly complicated).  Could have been better, could have been much worse.

LG came home from camp yesterday, so I expected bed time antics.  The biggest problem giving up his night drinking is that it's the delivery system he desires.  I've tried in the past buying all kinds of different cups but what he wants is the bottle (and before you tell me he's three he shouldn't have a bottle, that's sort of pointless...the fact is he does).  Conveniently we have a new baby cousin; I asked Tiny Boy if he wanted to perhaps give the bottles to the baby in exchange for a new stuffed animal to sleep with.  Everything was great with this plan during the day.

At bedtime there was some protesting, but he drank usual rice milk in sippy cup while we read stories.  I gave him melatonin, as the sleep doctor had suggested, to minimize the DRAMA at bedtime.  Sat in the rocking chair, reminded him to close his eyes, etc (he moves around and kicks A LOT in bed, and the doctor seems to think this will stop once his iron is up) and bam, twenty minutes later had a sleeping kid.  Yahoo.

Not a peep out of him until 1:30 in the morning (which was 6 hrs after he went to sleep, so that's great).  But then it was crying and whimpering and crying and begging for the bottle and being scared of the bedroom.  He finally came into my bed and fell asleep around 3:30.  I feel like maybe he woke around 6:00 but I'm not sure and up for the day at 7:00.

If that's the worst of it, we'll be okay.  But this is not something I can continue for more than a few days, and certainly not the month it took when we tried CIO at the beginning of the night when he was an infant.  The only reason I was able to fall asleep at all was self-medicating on top of the lunesta I usually take...and that's not good for me and now I'm both exhausted and druggy.

Clearly coming into my bed is not ideal and might set us up for another habit to break later.  But one step at a time.

No comments: