Friday, July 10, 2015

Not Much Sleeping

At my kid's first sleepover, her dear friend, who was trying desperately to sleep at 9:00 pm when the other girls were talking, said to me "I don't know WHY they call it a SLEEP-over.  You don't sleep."

That pretty much sums up my experience with a sleep study as well.  I mean, I'm glad we did it, and I will be particularly glad if there were findings to be found, but I'm not quite sure why a center that advertises its ability to do sleep studies on little kids would have the little kids on the same schedule as the adults.

We arrived, as told, at 7:00 pm.   It was about 8:30 by the time Tiny Boy was hooked up to electrodes.  They asked what time he'd be ready to sleep...I said between 9:00 and 9:30.  The other tech came in at 9:40 to turn out the lights and hook him up to the pulse ox thing.  And he seemed surprised this morning that Tiny Boy wasn't asleep until about 10:25.  Uhh, I have a kid who takes about an hour to fall asleep (and I'm guessing many insomniac patients take at least that long).  If you wanted him SLEEPING at 10:00 you should have hooked him up sooner...

Tiny Boy was a champ until it was bedtime, and he was hooked up to all sorts of things, and particularly hated the nasal canula.  Let me just say if I haven't that Tiny Boy is the sort of kid who compulsively picks at his own skin (to the point that he peeled off a chunk of his toe with his TEETH earlier this summer during when he didn't want to nap).  So there was a lot to pick at.  And some drama.


(This is Tiny Boy hamming it up.  You probably can't tell that his shirt says "Even Dinos Sleep."  Ha.)

I made the executive decision to take my lunesta pill because if I didn't I knew I would stay awake the ENTIRE night and need to drive home more than an hour.  The parent 'bed' was horrible, the room was freezing, I could hear talking in another room, and despite the pill and my own pillow and sweater, I think maybe I slept about 3 hours total.  Fortunately (?) Tiny Boy didn't have a wake up that require maternal intervention until about 3:00 am...but he ended up pulling the thing out of his nose, and the tech came in three times in the next hour.  And then around 5:00 I'm not sure what the fuck happened but apparently Tiny Boy kicked/knocked over some piece of mechanical equipment that made a big thud, requiring more intervention and rerouting wires.

And he was woken up at 6:07 because that is apparently when they choose to wake sleep study patients.  While I appreciate that people--including staff--have other places to be, that just strikes me as counterintuitive.  Tiny Boy fell asleep on the car ride home (thankfully I didn't) and is now at daycare, though he is completely confused and I need to bring him a lunch.

This is me trying to nap.  Ha.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get some answers. If it does turn out to be behavioral, doesn't the clinic address those issues also? I truly hope you get this resolved soon.

What is the cannula for?

Anonymous said...

With adults in sleep tests for cpap needs they also check oxygen levels while sleeping and cannula would allow them to regulate adding oxygen if they fall significantly. Some apnea adults can fall and stay well below 90% which is highly undesirable for good health.
Trying to post from Firefox not Safari... maybe it is an Apple issue when I have trouble posting. I do agree troll prevention does not happen on this site. WAIT>>> Troll prevention IS happening when enter from Firefox.......

Bionic said...

That is...ridiculous. Sounds like they were surprised he isn't the kind of kid who just drops off to sleep around bedtime. A category which I would imagine includes more than a few of their patients. I wonder if they are surprised every time.

gwinne said...

And bedtime in a strange place with a tube up your nose no less!

Yes, canula was to check oxygen/c02 levels, I think. There was also something that went in front of his mouth to see if he was mouth breathing.

And, yes, they absolutely deal with behavioral issues (we saw both a neurologist and a behavioral psych person, and will be seeing a GI). But don't do that until AFTER all medical issues have been ruled out/dealt with, in order to maximize likelihood of success.