(FWIW, I don't plan on recording our nights until the end of time. For now, some record keeping...)
Bedtime was later than I would have liked as we were out with friends. Tiny Boy was fine while we were there (we left at 7:20) but by the time we got home was meltdown boy. Immediately did an abbreviated night routine (we only did one story) and got him in bed w/melatonin. I thought he was out by 8:00 and left his bedroom--if I didn't mention this, the doctors encouraged me to sit in the room with him, which we'd been doing for a while, to cut down on bedroom antics--only to be called back. He was out for good by 8:20.
Observations: he's definitely squirrely, particularly in the legs. But as soon as he stops moving he's OUT. He doesn't spend time with his eyes closed relaxing.
He woke at maybe 3:00. Cried for his 'baba.' Maybe this lasted fifteen minutes. Went to sleep. Repeat around 5:00, though at this point he was more upset, he said his belly hurt, and I said the choices were drink from a cup or come into my bed but I was going back to sleep. We snuggled up and slept until about 7:30.
I'm guessing he'll keep asking for the bottle for at least a few more days. But if this continues, I'll definitely call it progress.
And I had to have a talk with myself that the goal here is not to get him to sleep through the night without any interruption (though that would be awesome) but to minimize the wake ups that disrupt both our sleep. If we can get that down to 1-2, instead of 2-5, I'll be a really happy girl. The problem is I've been pressured on all sides...can't go to bed early, can't sleep late, woken frequently in the middle of the night. Last night softened all those pressures to an extent.
Bedtime was later than I would have liked as we were out with friends. Tiny Boy was fine while we were there (we left at 7:20) but by the time we got home was meltdown boy. Immediately did an abbreviated night routine (we only did one story) and got him in bed w/melatonin. I thought he was out by 8:00 and left his bedroom--if I didn't mention this, the doctors encouraged me to sit in the room with him, which we'd been doing for a while, to cut down on bedroom antics--only to be called back. He was out for good by 8:20.
Observations: he's definitely squirrely, particularly in the legs. But as soon as he stops moving he's OUT. He doesn't spend time with his eyes closed relaxing.
He woke at maybe 3:00. Cried for his 'baba.' Maybe this lasted fifteen minutes. Went to sleep. Repeat around 5:00, though at this point he was more upset, he said his belly hurt, and I said the choices were drink from a cup or come into my bed but I was going back to sleep. We snuggled up and slept until about 7:30.
I'm guessing he'll keep asking for the bottle for at least a few more days. But if this continues, I'll definitely call it progress.
And I had to have a talk with myself that the goal here is not to get him to sleep through the night without any interruption (though that would be awesome) but to minimize the wake ups that disrupt both our sleep. If we can get that down to 1-2, instead of 2-5, I'll be a really happy girl. The problem is I've been pressured on all sides...can't go to bed early, can't sleep late, woken frequently in the middle of the night. Last night softened all those pressures to an extent.
3 comments:
I'm glad last night went better. Your goal really should be sleeping through the night though. Uninterupted sleep is just as important for his mental/physical development as it is for you.
I'd definitely like that, but don't know how realistic that is and don't want to set myself up for disappointment. The fact is it's normal for kids (and adults!) to wake...what's not normal is the amount of times and the 'severity' of it.
I agree with you, its better to be realistic and try and address the other disruptions one by one.
Post a Comment